Skip to Content

This Week Is Burn Awareness Week

/ The Upper Cumberland's News Leader
This Week Is Burn Awareness Week

Homes during the winter present plenty of opportunities to cause burns if you are not careful.

Jackson County Central Fire Department Chief Jeff Conn said a popular culprit he has came across are wax melters.

“One of the more popular things that I’ve noticed that I have actually dealt with and seen some kids burnt are the plug in candle warmers,” Conn said. “A lot of people put those on end tables and lower tables, and those can easily be pulled over and spilt on a child.”

Conn said kerosene heaters, wood stoves and boiling water can also be dangerous. Conn said with this week being burn awareness week, it serves as a remainder for child safety for parents. Conn said families should tour their homes together to remind young children what is not safe to touch.

“Just be aware,” Conn said. “Just be hazardous and aware of everything. There is so many things that can cause harm to adults and children alike in homes these days.”

Young children are at high risk of being burned by hot food and liquids. Keep children away from cooking areas by enforcing a “kid-free zone” of three feet around the stove or around any place where hot food or drink is being prepared or carried.

Conn said he recommends keeping burn cream in the home for emergencies. If you suffer a severe burn, Conn said to call for an ambulance to allow an EMT to treat the injury.


The post This Week Is Burn Awareness Week appeared first on News Talk 94.1/AM 1600.