Skip to Content

Livingston Gas Urges Citizens To Check Carbon Monoxide Detectors

/ The Upper Cumberland's News Leader
Livingston Gas Urges Citizens To Check Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Livingston Gas Department is urging residents to check their carbon monoxide detectors as you crank up the heat this week

Livingston Mayor Curtis Hayes said carbon monoxide gas detectors should be checked quarterly at the change of each season. Hayes said citizens should check or replace the batteries of the detector each time they check to make sure it’s functioning. Hayes said citizens should be sure to place their detector somewhere they are sure to wake up if it were to alarm.

“This is the type of year, as the temperatures continue to drop, folks will be cranking up their heating system,” Hayes said. “Most that is used in gas, will need to make sure that they have an installed battery-operated or battery-backup detector to their home.”

Hayes said that carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas and that exposure can lead to sickness or death. Hayes said if citizens do hear their carbon monoxide detector alarm, not to try and find the source but rather move outside to call the authorities.

“This is just a helpful reminder that as the seasons have changed and the temperatures have dropped,” Hayes said. “Folks just need to check their batteries.”

Hayes said symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, upset stomach, vomiting, and confusion.

“Those are symptoms that kind of sound like flu-like symptoms as well,” Hayes said. “But that could very well be carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Hayes said he encourages citizens to check their fire alarms as well while checking their carbon monoxide detectors. Hayes said there hasn’t been an incident of carbon monoxide poisoning in Livingston, rather that the city is looking to ensure citizens’ safety.


The post Livingston Gas Urges Citizens To Check Carbon Monoxide Detectors appeared first on News Talk 94.1/AM 1600.